Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Tad's Acoustic Series Part Five - Changing Once a Day




This is a fun one and well represents a touch of maturity in my song-writing (I just threw up in my mouth typing that out).  Before this song I was always trying to emulate the bands that got me into music, Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, Live, Alice in Chains, etc.  Granted, listen to the stuff that I wrote during that period and I wasn't even close to anything that resembled those bands...but that's what I was trying to be in my head.  Once this song came around...with this vibe and these weird chords that I felt I invented at that time (because I have an enormous head...figuratively and literally) it was a whole new world (author's note:  Came across a UK copy of Aladdin on eBay recently...and my 3 & 4 year old have watched it in the neighborhood of 25 times already...so that may shape some of my writing in the near future).  But without further ado:


Some say they're the same as any other day
But they're not the same, why is that?
It's not that hard to be the same as you were just one day ago
Maybe there's a disease spreading change that no one's ever heard of before...

A different thought a different feeling is a new you coming out
Is there anything you can do to stop it?  I don't see why not
A new yourself a new beginning or just another f***** up you
Why not just hang on to what you're feeling and try and see something through...

With this changing once a day how will you ever really find out who you are?
Will this pattern you've succumbed to ever stop?
How will you ever really know you?

Personalities come and go like the travelers at the bus stop
These days reality is very shaky but some things never change


The hubris of these lyrics is awesome!  Coming off a break up...judging an 18-19 year old girl for having the audacity to change her mind about the way she felt about me...or not even that...just wanting to get out of high school and see what life had to offer outside of her high school boyfriend.  I spent a significant amount of time scouring the deepest recesses of my brain to come up with basically, "Hey!  What's the deal??".  Brilliant stuff!  I guess these lyrics are a shining example of the extreme self-centeredness of youth combined with having yet come to terms with true human nature.  Ah to be young and dumb(er) once again!

Getting away from all that...I guess it just begs the question...do we change...or are we just we?  And is we nothing but a conglomeration of static and erratic behavior where change takes place on a daily basis, minute by minute even...but that "change" is nothing but the sum of what we actually are?  Changing once a day?  Maybe I was aiming way way too low.  Everything we experience from the moment we leave the bed to the moment we return...does it change us in any way?  Does it take a "life-changer" to bring about true change or can picking a different route to work or a new flavor of coffee creamer cause a ripple effect that can honestly alter the course of who we are?  

Or do we actively seek to constantly "change" in order to find out who we really are?  Maybe I had it ass-backwards!  Maybe life is nothing more than a series of auditions and we're trying to secure the role of us?!  By the way...if that's true and I'm auditioning to be me...although I would truly like the part, I would expect the Big Casting Director in the Sky to go with a much younger, slimmer candidate...you'll definitely get more asses in the seats that way.

But enough about me.

As I feel with every one of these...certain there's not much sense to be made...but grateful for any eyeballs trying to find some.

Love y'all.

Tad









No comments:

Post a Comment