Saturday, July 9, 2011

About: The Story of Emily (a continuing journey)

Emily showed up on a Wednesday afternoon in May.  An unremarkable day from a cosmic perspective, but on a personal level?...unremarkable would definitely not be the word to use to describe it. 

The journey began the previous June.  My wife and I had been married for four or so months, when for some reason she decided our two bedroom apartment was way too big for only two people.  We needed to fill it up with something.  I thought perhaps some office furniture might be nice for the second bedroom, something that would complement the leopard print futon that served as our guest bed.  She, on the other hand, decided a small human would be a better accent.  I admit that I was initially hesitant to embrace her plans but after she explained to me the process of bringing about said human, I jumped on board.

I don’t know much about anything, and I’ll certainly not claim to be the smartest of men, but I was convinced this process would take months, if not years to produce a result.  So, if you consider a month and half to be “months” than I would have been correct.  I’ll never forget the night we found out.  My wife and I were having a discussion about our state of affairs, our future, etc.  For a reason that escapes me now, I remember being in an extremely stressed state of being (seeing as I’m this way 93.4% of the time, this would probably be a safe guess regardless).  Stressed about theoretical babies, stressed about finances, stressed about living arrangements, stressed about work, stressed about vacation planning…just stressed.  The only phrase I clearly remember uttering on that fateful night was, “finding out you’re pregnant now would be the LAST thing we need”.  Taking this as her cue to turn our lives into a bad rom-com, my wife journeyed into our room to reportedly change for bed.  Her scream a few minutes later was all I needed to know the Big Screenwriter in the Sky was laughing hysterically as the camera panned to my ashen face.  From that moment on, the capital ‘T’ in my first name begin it’s long arduous journey to a lower case ‘d’.  

No comments:

Post a Comment